2. Invite some friends over.
3. Open a few bottles of wine.
4. Grill some stuff.
5. Make these cookies.
6. Watch the entertainment in the windows around you.
7. Realize the cookies are all gone and you didn’t take a picture. Oops.
8. Go to bed.
9. Wake up in the morning and immediately make these cookies again.
10. Eat the whole pan. By yourself.
11. Take a picture of the last strip of cookies.
12. Eat the rest and wash the pan so there is no evidence.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup salted butter
4 smallish nectarines*
1) Brown the butter over medium low heat, then place in the freezer for thirty minute.**
2) Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 13″x9″ pan.
3) Mix together all dry goods, then cut in the solidified browned butter. Stir in the egg – the mixture will still be crumbly.
4) Slice the nectarines into 1/8″ wide slices.
5) Pat 3/4 of the crumb mixture into the pan, then lay the nectarine slices on top. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture on top.
6) Bake for thirty minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Chill and cut into squares.
*You could also use peaches, plums or another pitted fruit.
**The butter will melt, foam up, and turn lightly brown. Stir continuously, scraping up the little brown bits on the bottom.